Making Time Count
This information was prepared by Dr. John W. Wherry, President, The Parent Institute. Copyright © 2000, The Parent Institute, P.O. Box 7474, Fairfax Station, VA 22039-7474, 1-800-756-5525. Permission is granted for noncommercial reproduction of this material if this credit message is included.
- Put specific times on your calendar each week when you will spend time with your children. During that time, focus your love and attention on your child.
- Use car time to talk with your children. There’s no phone or TV to interfere. No one can get up and leave. And kids know they really have your ear.
- Plan to eat at least one meal together as a family each day.
- Look for things to do together as a family. Get everyone involved in choosing how to spend your time together.
- Try giving children TV tickets. Each week, each child gets 20 TV tickets. Each ticket can be used for 30 minutes of TV time.
- Any tickets remaining at the end of the week can be cashed in for 25 cents each. Parents can still veto a certain program, of course.